Monday, April 6, 2015

Makeover Monday: Rule of Thirds

Stampin' Up! Amazing Birthday -  Makeover Monday: Rule of Thirds Design Principle www.juliedavison.com
It's time for another Makeover Monday! I teamed up with my friend Jen Davidson to share some simple tips for making over your stamped creations.

For today's card, I applied the Rule of Thirds to make the flower more visually appealing. I also introduced more color by changing the flower color and introducing another layer of cardstock (the banner) to make the focus point pop against the busy pattern of the designer paper. In addition, I decreased the size of the designer paper (from 4" x 5-1/4" to 3-3/4" x 5") on the card base.
Before
Stampin' Up! Amazing Birthday - Makeover Monday: Rule of Thirds Design Principle www.juliedavison.com
After
Makeover Monday: Rule of Thirds Design Principle www.juliedavison.com
Are you familiar with the Rule of Thirds? I try to keep this design principle in mind when I create my cards. Essentially, you divide your design space into thirds, both horizontally and vertically so that you have nine sections. It is most aesthetically pleasing for the focal point (or "important compositional elements") to fall at one of the intersections. Learn More about the Rule of Thirds

Stampin' Up! Supplies: Amazing Birthday stamp set, Calypso Coral ink & cardstock, Coastal Cabana cardstock, Crushed Curry cardstock, Whisper White cardstock, Best Year Ever Designer Paper (SAB), Blossom Punch, 1-1/4" Circle Punch

1 comment:

MarvA1ix said...

I had never actually read up on the Rule of Thirds, but always here about it. Understanding it, and putting it to good use when making cards really can make a difference, and you certainly proved that to me today. Lovely card makeover.